Shiftboard's Time Off tool allows members to request time off, and for either a Site Administrator or Manager to approve. Once the request has been approved, the member cannot be scheduled because they are considered booked. Additionally, if a member is already scheduled for a shift, the system will indicate the conflict and give options so the person can be removed from the shift, allowing the shift to be shown as available and/or the shift to be unpublished.
There are many ways to configure the Time Off tool, starting with a few key decisions to these questions:
- Who will be notified of requests--primary site contact or primary team contact?
- Can members see approved requests?
- Are categories required and what are they (PTO, vacation, FMLA, etc.)?
- Should paid/unpaid be shown and how should it default?
- What is reported if a member selects all day (8 hours, 10 hours, etc.)?
How to Set Up Time Off Settings
Go to Settings > Application Settings > Time Off. For questions about a setting, click the question mark to the left for more information.
Remember, when doing any kind of update to the settings in the site, click "Update" to save changes.
Members are able to request days off from their profiles by clicking the time "Time Off" option under Account Toolbox. After clicking "Time Off," a screen appears where the request can be entered.
If entering multiple dates, click "Additional Dates" and then select the first date, click "Add" and continue to add in days. Once this is done, click "Submit."
Approve/Decline Time Off
Once a request has been submitted, the appropriate contacts will be notified.
To approve/decline time off as a Site Administrator or Manager, go to Calendar > Time Off. To learn about the Time Off viewing options, follow the number in the image to the corresponding explanation below.
1. Filter Section--Site Administrators and Managers can approve or deny Time Off requests. When viewing requests, change viewing preferences by filtering member requests by Teams, Accounts, and Status. After filling in the necessary information, select Apply.
2. Approve/Deny--When ready to approve/decline a member's request, check the box next to their request and then click "Approve or Deny." It is possible to give a reason as well; this information will be sent to the member's email associated with the account.
3. Download/Calendar View--View the calendar to see how many members have requested the same day off and who has already been approved. To view this information in a document, click "Download."